One of the most talked-about and strict employment documents is undergoing a change in 2017. The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has released an updated version of the Form I-9, which will become mandatory for all employers beginning January 22, 2017.
Employers may continue to use Form I-9 with a revision date of 03/08/2013 until January 21, 2017. After January 21, all previous version of the form will be invalid. Under federal immigration law, employers must maintain a properly completed Form I-9 for all employees hires in the U.S. after November 6, 1986.
The new Form I-9 is designed to help employers reduce technical errors that lead to fines by offering new features that include:
• Validations on certain fields to ensure information is entered
correctly. For example, the form will validate the correct number of
digits for a Social Security number or an expiration date on an identity
• The addition of prompts to ensure information is entered correctly
• Drop-down lists and calendars.
• Buttons that will allow users to access instructions electronically, print the form and clear the form to start over.
• A designated area to enter additional information that previously needed to be entered as a margin note, such as the auto-extension of an individual’s work-authorized status, where applicable.
Gathering new hire paperwork is often a tedious and time-consuming task. To streamline the process, Paycor’s HR Onboarding software enables new hires to fill out Form I-9, additional federal and state tax documents, direct deposit forms and other company documents, electronically before their first day of work. The Form I-9 and other employee documents will then be electronically stored to their record, ensuring simple and easy maintenance for you. Click here to see all of the advantages Onboarding offers, and contact us to schedule a demo for your organization.
Sources: National Law Review, Society for Human Resource Management and U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
Subscribe to Our Resource Center Digest
Enter your email below to receive a weekly recap of the latest articles
from Paycor's Resource Center.
Check your inbox
for an email confirming your subscription. Enjoy!